EYE LEGO Engineering Design Challenges: Pressure-Proof Structures
Challenge: Imagine that your LEGO person is working in a mine underground deep inside the crust of the Earth. Create a shelter for the mine workers that will withstand the pressure inside the earth and protect the miners from a cave-in.
- Discuss ways to make strong structures that can withstand a lot of force
- Explain that the pressure in the core of the earth is very high, and pushes on structures from all angles, so every part of the build would need to be extremely strong
- Test student structures using small weights
- ake sure to test not only the top of the structure, but also the sides and bottom, because pressure comes from every angle.
- Allow students time to revise/improve their design to support more weight